NEPSAC Code of Ethics
As a member of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC), Gunnery Athletics supports the following Code of Ethics:
Guidelines for Coaches and Players
- Treat other persons as you know they should be treated, and as you wish them to fairly treat you.
- Regard the rules of your games as agreements, the spirit of letter of which you should not evade or break.
- Treat officials and opponents with respect.
- Accept absolutely and without quarrel the final decision of any official.
- Honor visiting teams and spectators as your own guests and treat them as such. Likewise, behave as an honored guest when you visit another school.
- Be gracious in victory and in defeat; learn especially to take defeat well.
- Be cooperative as you are competitive.
- Remember that your actions on and off the field reflect on you and your school.
Guidelines for Spectators
- Spectators – whether students, faculty, parents, alumni, or friends – bear the important responsibility to the school for the atmosphere and conduct of games, whether home or away.
- Spectators should watch games from those areas defined by each school as spectator areas.
- Spectators must not run up and down the sidelines, call to players, coaches, or officials in any unsportsmanlike manner, go onto the field of play, or deface property.
- Any action that detracts from the ability of coaches, players, and/or officials to do their best is not acceptable.
- Faculty members should remember that their responsibility for student discipline and behavior extends to disciplining and controlling students who misbehave as spectators.