We seek a seasoned writer and editor whose work is strategic, compelling and motivating, fresh and engaging, accurate and complete, and represents the character and personality of the source.
The ideal candidate is flexible, solution-oriented, takes initiative, communicates clearly and concisely in many formats, across multiple platforms, from print to PR to social media and the web. Our goal is to recruit a creative team player, who is a skilled and imaginative writer with an eye for detail and who is passionate about words, stories and marketing. The candidate should be resourceful, organized and proactive, able to juggle many tasks at once while remaining self-sufficient and having a strong bent toward customer service. A healthy dose of humor and appreciation of fun is helpful.
In this role as a key member of the Marketing & Communications team, the assistant director will:
- Develop and maintain a compelling narrative, and a unique and strong voice for all communications based on the brand and messaging platform of the school, maintaining quality, accuracy, editorial style, voice, and tone across all content.
- Conceptualize, research and write content for the school’s semiannual magazine, press releases, websites, e-newsletters, announcements, scripts, case statements, letters, direct mail, social media and other communications.
- Establish and maintain productive, collaborative working relationships with other offices on campus to ensure that all communications are effective, meet the determined objectives, and conform to the school’s standards and guidelines.
- Collaborate regularly with members of the Admissions and the Alumni & Development offices on specific communications and writing projects.
- Manage development, creation and production of the school’s semiannual magazine – our flagship publication. Serve as lead editor of the magazine, which includes substantive story development, research, writing and editing, proofreading and fact checking, working with designers, contributing writers, artists and photographers, interviewing alumni, parents, students and faculty. (Also, develop ideas and content for the magazine's online presence with an eye toward innovation and expansion.)
- Remain integrated with and attuned to the daily life of the school, reporting on people, events, activities, achievements and programs.
- Provide general communications support, including writing and editing the work of others, as needed for many departments (i.e. Head of School, Dean of Students, Academics, and Athletics).
- Assume other responsibilities as needed, such as event support and photography, occasional evening and weekend assistance, and general communications work.
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, public relations, or a related field and at least three years of relevant work experience with advanced editing, writing, and proofreading skills, preferably with magazines. And:
- Impeccable spelling and contemporary grammar skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit content for multiple audiences, publishing to a variety of traditional media as well as digital platforms.
- Extremely detail-oriented; must possess superior organizational and time-management skills to handle multiple projects while working effectively to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities.
- Experience with and general understanding of today’s marketing and communications practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Google environment (Drive, docs, calendar, email) and website content; ability to learn new software and web-based systems, including content management systems (CMS).
- Knowledge of and/or experience working on communications for boarding schools, independent schools and/or higher education, preferred.
Interested candidates must provide: a resume, at least three current writing samples (a link to an online portfolio, PDFs, or hard copies), salary history/requirements, and contact information for at least three references. Send to:
Attention: Marketing & Communications
99 Green Hill Road
Washington, CT 06793
No phone calls please.
Job details: Full-time 12-month position. Anticipated start date July 1, 2017. Writing test to be conducted during interview. Offer of employment will be contingent upon a successful background check.